Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Snowy Day

Okay, so no one is going to get the humor in that title unless they're in central VA, where it was 60 degrees today! :) Not quite sure what Mr. Groundhog was talking about! (we are keeping track for 6 weeks....my kids are divided on whether he is a good meteorologist or not!).

My teammates had duploed some wonderful winter writing prompts, and I just kept waiting for the right time, when we'd have a winterish day to write about them. In our part of the state, that usually occurs around end of January/early February, sometimes into March. Well, so far, the only snow we've seen has fallen from the sky (quite beautifully in big puffy flakes) 3 times...and melted as soon as it hit the ground. (This is actually unusual for our area, but I'm not complaining!).

So, I decided that yes, by gum, I was going to use those prompts and activities....but my students are the kinesthetic, visual type learners (can you tell their teacher is as well?).....SO today we made it snow, right here in Classroom 23!

After Christmas, I was scouring the local Walmart and had found some cute craft kits, marked 74 cents....heck, even that fit MY budget! I snatched up 5 (one for each of my tables) and figured I'd end up doing something with them! I am so happy I did!


So, we made it snow :) which the kids LOVED, then wrote about what we would do if it snowed 25 inches! (I made sure to introduce the prompt BEFORE we made it snow....knew their attention would be better up front!). The kids had a BLAST and were able to divide up the snow and take it home in baggies.


This is one of my "unmotivated" students who, as you can see, had no problem writing about this topic!


So...having never done anything with "fake snow" before, I am more than happy now to scout out sales and pick up more! What a wonderful activity it turned out to be! Don't you just love it when a plan comes together? :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment