Saturday, September 22, 2012

Cynthia Rylant Author Study

So, I am loving this idea of author studies!  Previously, we did Eric Carle since it went with our "Mixed Up Chameleon" story in our Harcourt Trophy series.  (I stretched it out for two weeks).

Last week and this week, we are focusing on Cynthia Rylant.  She writes two stories in our series:  Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon (they only print the first chapter) and Mr. Putter and Tabby Fly the Plane.  

I think my kids have decided sequencing is fun, so many of the packets I created include sequencing.  I have to admit, we do read aloud before lunch and its a great "revisit" tool after lunch for writing.  Students identify the beginning, middle, and end of the story using the sequencing strips we've already put in order!  We even have a chart started, so students can see and (hopefully) model their own writing after it!  I'm embarrassed to say my chart is very crude looking (just a list really) compared to other anchor charts on blogs, so I'll forgo putting a pic of it on here! :)

So, here are the packs I've completed so far and uploaded to TpT (and soon to Teacher's Notebook!):  Henry and Mudge Under the Yellow Moon, The Relatives Came, Henry and Mudge Best Day of All, Poppleton (Book One), and Mr. Putter and Tabby Walk the Dog.  Please check them out on my TpT store!  I would post a pic of each (because I know it helps when you can see them!), but after participating in our PTA yard sale today and my daughter's birthday tomorrow (and glancing at the time and realizing I told my husband I'd be home 40 minutes ago!) I'll have to skip it today!

Oh, one last thing!  Did you know Brain Pop Jr has a segment on Cynthia Rylant?  Too cool!  My kids just like the fact that she was born in Virginia - it really helped them connect to her!  Well, that and a big loveable dog we all know! :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment