Thursday, July 28, 2016

That First Week Back....

Oh man, we start back (teachers) on Monday.  I am NOT looking forward to getting up at 6am!  Other than that, I'm excited!  I've already been at work in the library (did I ever really leave this summer?  Not sure) with lesson plans for each grade.  I am that weird individual that I don't like to repeat lessons (unless they're really good ones!) if I can make them better.  Besides, I'm always adding new books to share!

So, last year, I introduced a QR Code Hunt for my 4th and 5th graders to re-orient themselves with the library.  They watched videos from Animoto and Powtoons (there's also a YouTube version as well) and answered questions.  It was such a big hit, it's going to be repeated this year!

For my 2nd and 3rd graders, I decided to do a Survivor type activity that I saw suggested in a book, but after looking through my picture books for a great "survivor" type story, I realized I didn't have any!  So, using Old Crump by Laurie Lawlor, which tells the true story of a trip out west in the covered wagon days (Old Crump being an ox), my "survivor" turned into a western/desert theme!
Image result for old crump
Now, knowing that everyone's library is different, I decided to upload it to Teachers Notebook and Teachers Pay Teachers as a Powerpoint so buyers could edit.  It's the first time I've done this for a paid product, and I'm a bit leery only because I used clipart I purchased on there.  I'm hoping it will be okay!  I'm excited for my "veteran" 2nd and 3rd graders to explore the library and answer questions like the older ones, but at a more basic level!  My now 2nd graders were just introduced to the different parts of the library in the spring, so I'm hoping this will also help them find the graphic novels and craft books they are always searching for!  So, if you're interested in seeing more, please click {Teachers Pay Teachers} or {Teacher's Notebook}.



You can also check out my updated QR Code Hunt (alternate version without YouTube) where I fixed a few flaws in the videos and added some hints as well to some of the harder questions!
What's in the Library?  An Alternate QR Code Scavenger Hun


0 comments:

Post a Comment