Sunday, November 8, 2015

What IS Veteran's Day?

This week in our resource classes, we are focusing on Veteran's Day.  In music, students will be learning a military medley.  In art, they'll be creating a poppy project.  Here in the library, they'll be learning about what veteran's day is and writing letters to veterans and current soldiers.

I happen to have a student who is a marine and is currently stationed in California, so we'll be sending his unit plenty of letters!  We'll also be sharing that with veterans at McGuire VA Hospital in Washington, D.C.  I also found other organizations that make sure current soldiers, as well as veterans, receive care packages and letters, so I made note of their addresses as well.  This is probably something I'll encourage students to repeat throughout the year as well, not just on a special holiday.  I'm excited and I hope the students will be, too!

The books I'll be using for each grade are:
(PK/K/1):  Don't Forget, God Bless Our Troops by Jill Biden
Coming Home by Greg Ruth
(2/3):  Love, Lizzie:  Letters to a Military Mom by Lisa McElroy
Veterans Day by Elaine Landau
(4/5):  The Wall by Eve Bunting (there's also a Reading Rainbow that goes along with this book that I might be using as well!)

I am using this cute craftivity I originally bought when I taught 2nd grade, and my 2nd and 3rd graders will be creating these this year with their letters:
Veterans Day Craft {English and Spanish}
You can click on the picture to take you to TPT where I bought it.  I noticed when grabbing the link she's added a lot more to it, so be sure to check it out! :)

For my PreK, K, and 1st graders, I created a printable booklet, similar to what I shared on this blog last year, but in an easier format (for PreK and K, I have one that is sight words only).  There's also an informational book you can share with 1-3, but for time sake, I'm doing it with just my first graders this year.  Unlike last year's, this one they'll be able to read and color. :)

For my 4-5th graders, we'll also be writing letters, but on a different template I created.  My former student got a little offended with the term "soldier", so we'll also be using "Dear Friend" letter templates as well!  Just for you, Jaleel! :)

To check out my packet, click on a picture below, or {here} to take you to Teacher's Notebook.



https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/What-Is-Veterans-Day-2195419

0 comments:

Post a Comment